Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Gearing Up for The Next 7.5 Weeks!

Well, it is "go time". Between now and May 30, I have 3 big races: the Montreal 1/2 Marathon Cdn Championship (Apr 18), the Vancouver BMO 1/2 Marathon (May 2) and the Ottawa Marathon Cdn Championship (May 30). Travel plans are made and I am looking forward to it!
So, the next 7.5 weeks are key. Key to: stick with the training plan, listen to my body even more, stretch more, get to bed earlier, and program myself to the goal race paces. For Montreal, I'd like to run around 1:17. I've been doing a lot (as in 1/2 of my mileage) of treadmill running (thanks to Maureen and Jeanetta at the Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre), which allows me to keep pace evenly. Today I did a good workout of eight 1 km repeats (each at 10.8 mph) with my warm-up, rest between repeats, and cool-down at an easy 9.0 mph. Total was 20 km and I felt great. Tomorrow is a cross-training day on the bike. I will take it easy between now and Apr 18th.
I'll post when I return. Until then, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13.