Saturday, October 6, 2012

A Touch of Taper, a Tad of Turkey, and a Tonne of Thanks.

I just love this time of year. The leaves are changing colours, the weather is cooler, and running in capris and a long t is just lovely (especially before all the layering in mid-winter). The furnace is on with the windows open just a smidgen. And we can celebrate the many things to be thankful for, over a long weekend.
Fall is wonderful. It's a great time to run. And an even better time to race!
The Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon is now only 8 days away.
And I am ready.
This week we cut the mileage and workouts back to a steady amount; after two shorter speed sessions and one short, long run (20km) to total 110 km for the week, I am exactly where I want to be. Runs will continue to decrease as the feeling to want to continue, longer and harder, will increase. I'll keep my diet trim (hard to do when you plan to host a turkey dinner with friends but I plan to freeze the leftovers, including Britanie's chocolate torte, to enjoy later!) until Wednesday then start loading the carbs.
This past week was quite busy with my husband working long days. I had applications/renewals to complete for the College of Dietitians, Saucony, and Athletics Canada. And I got to write about, "My One Thing" for the Canadian Cancer Society, which will be posted this week. But I've been able to stay on top of things. Some emails had to wait so that I could get to bed in decent time, every night. I'm so glad we have a long weekend to recover.
Jonathan has another busy week coming up so I'll work away each day at packing (for myself and the kids who will join me with Jonathan for Sunday) and resting in order to be right ready to leave Thursday.  I will run a total of about 60 km between Sunday-Saturday. I'll take Wednesday off, which is already scheduled with an appointment with Ty at 8:30am, a phone interview at 10:30am, lunch mom duty at 12:00pm, a Canadian Running live chat at 1:00pm, work at 4:00pm, and groceries at 8:00pm. All good.
I am visualizing the race more each day. The thought of seeing Rick and Alan, and Jonathan, Micah, Seth and Leah at the finish line really motivates me to run, hard.
I'll print some emails and pack my bible and a few cards I've been given, to read over while sitting at the hotel eating bagels and watching made-for-tv movies with Lanni.
Hopefully I can get a massage on Thursday, pack the diaper bag and boys' lunches and head out the door after an early dinner. On Friday morning we have the press conference and guest speaking at the expo on, "The Resurgence of Women's Marathoning in Canada: Chasing Silvia's record (2:28:36)!". Then the technical meeting is Saturday. Other than that, Friday and Saturday will be carbing and resting.
I look forward to seeing the results of the Chicago Marathon tomorrow. Go, Wesley Korir !
Enjoy your weekend, folks. There is so much to be thankful for!




I guess Leah saw me using the golf ball enough on my plantar fascitis that she tried it for herself! All is well though. I've always felt that the taper allows you to rest to race as well as recover from those nagging chronic problems.

Look for me in the black, red and gold. These colours are very familiar to me as a Guelph Gryphon!