Monday, February 4, 2013

Perseverance.


James 1:2-4
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Currently, Wesley and Tarah Korir are in Kenya while he trains for the Boston Marathon, they spend time with his family, and continue developing the Kenya Kids Foundation. When I read their updates on Facebook and Twitter, I feel a tug at my heart. I've written about my desire to someday go down there as a family; to serve using our gifts, give our kids an amazing experience, and train at altitude. There are a handful of other Canadian marathoners (Rejean, Eric, Reid, Lanni) training in Africa right now and I'd love to be there but it's not my time. But, I can let you know the needs arising. Recently Tarah described their current financial need to help with healthcare, schooling, and clean drinking water. They could also benefit from educational materials. You can read about the specific details here. After recently receiving my winnings from the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon and the Canada Running Series 2012 championship, my husband and I were able to give to the Kenya Kids Foundation, and plan to continue doing so. Paul Gains wrote about it an a recent article, here.  

In the meantime, I will continue persevering with the many things I've been blessed with in this amazing country... 
I have a great coach who is leading me wisely to a full recovery. Read this article, here about how "A 'sole' mate keeps a runner on track".
I have a brand new washing machine that got a real workout last week while the kids battled stomach flu!
I go to a great gym that's close by with new extended hours, making it possible to work out before getting the kids ready for school.
I have an amazing, supportive husband with a great job, allowing me to do this marathon thing!
I have three sweet kids who are individual in their own way, and a great joy to raise.
I have great support from my sponsors: Saucony, Eload, Chariot Carriers AND most recently, Essential Physiotherapy & Wellness. 


 

So, I keep on keeping on.
I continue averaging 9-10 hours/week using the pool, bike, elliptical and treadmill. After this week, I should be back to a fairly regular, daily running routine! Sunday, February 10 will be exactly 6 months to Worlds so the timing is perfect. I've been increasing my running times and it's feeling great.  There is no pain in the hip but the legs certainly aren't as strong as they were a year ago at this time! It's all good though. I remember Mary Davies saying that she was fit, cardiovascular-wise but the legs just didn't have the ground work in them when she attempted the 2012 Ottawa Marathon to try to qualify for the Olympics to represent her country, New Zealand. She too suffered a possible pregnancy-related injury. Hey, our bodies go through a lot, having babies but it makes us stronger marathoners! We all know her amazing outcome a few months after Ottawa, as STWM winner with a new personal best time of 2:28:57!
I think the thing that encourages me the most is that when I run, my heart-rate isn't elevated nearly to the level it is when I bike. Between all my activities, I've averaged between 90-170 BPM. Walking has been the lowest and biking the highest. And my RHR at night is in the low 30's. Here's an article I found that assures me we've done the right thing while recovering.
I hope that I can gradually increase my running mileage to 160 km/wk by May when I start my build to Worlds. Working backwards, we'd aim for 80 km/wk at the end of Feb, 120 km/wk at the end of March, and 160 km/wk at the end of April. This works out to be about +10 km/wk, which should be o.k.  I'm in good hands at Essential Physiotherapy so they'll keep an eye on things. 

It's nearly time for bed since tomorrow is a 5:00 am wake-up to get to the gym and back before getting the kids ready for school. Tomorrow also marks 7 years since completing my first baby marathon in 52 hours. Talk about perseverance!